Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Question about marine wildlife rehabilitation?

If I haven't taken any courses in marine biology but in pre-veterinary studies could I still help rehabilitate marine animals even if I decide to specialize or choose it as part of my practice in graduate school?Question about marine wildlife rehabilitation?
Its never too late to do anything and you will find that it is possible to end up working in areas that are quite different to what you study at university.





I went back to uni in my early 30's and completed a post graduate degree majoring in Ecology. I did very little in the way of freshwater ecology but secured a position as a freshwater ecologist. I have just started a new job working as an experimentalist trying to find treatments for tropical fruit pathogens. I have little or no expereince in this line also. My point is this, most of your education you will recieve 'on the job' so although you have a vetinary type background, you could find yourself working in any one of a number of areas....including marine wildlife rehab. bear this in mind though, those positions are very hotly contested as they are considered to be the glamour jobs due the cute and cuddly perception of dolphins and turtles. it might be wise to work as a volunteer in that area while you are studying. That way you can get to know the people who may become your future employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment