Friday, May 14, 2010

I want a job as a parkranger will my mental illness keep me from getting a job for the CO div of wildlife?

8 years ago i was honorably retired from the US Army because of PT SD and schizophrenia im 100 percent service connected but i want to be a park ranger for the colorado division of wildlife can my illness prevent me from my dream jobI want a job as a parkranger will my mental illness keep me from getting a job for the CO div of wildlife?
I think the only way to get the correct answer is to call the wildlife division and ask for an application. Fill it out and be entirely honest about everything, including what meds you are on.





You will know one way or the other. And, by the way, sweetheart, it's always good to have one or two backup dreams!





Good luck to you.I want a job as a parkranger will my mental illness keep me from getting a job for the CO div of wildlife?
Yes, you can be denied of your dream job due to your mental illness. It depends solely on department policies on accepting people with a prior mental condition.





In some cases, they won't ask you nor attempt to find out if you do. It's probably best to keep quiet unless they ask you about it.
The americans with disabilities act should protect you, but a couple issues would be that you may not be able to take a job in enforcement, because in some states, by having a mental illness, you lose your firearms rights (not in Colorado, I don't think). This is well beyond the Brady Bill I am talking - in Texas, just HAVING THE DIAGNOSIS of schizophrenia or bipolar nixes you (I have bipolar). If you are on meds that make you really tired, like a lot of the antipsychotics do, that may limit your driving. Do you have a social worker or are you eligible for vocational benefits? Usually schizophrenia is extremely disabling, so you might have been misdiagnosed there. Especially suspect that if you are black - many black people with bipolar get misdiagnosed with schizophrenia. A lot of folks with bipolar can do pretty good on the job, aren't sick all the time (I'm disabled with it).





Good luck - go to NAMI.org and find your local office on their website and call them up and find someone good to talk to about this.
Nothing can stop you from your dream job. You just have to make sure you stay on your medication, going to therapy, etc. enough to make sure you stay fit for the job. If your okay now, I would look foward to the future and rnot the past. Go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment