Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Anyone else around here wanna be a zoologist or a wildlife conservationist?

I'm 14 and I always wanted to be a zoologist. But I dont know where to start.Anyone else around here wanna be a zoologist or a wildlife conservationist?
I always wanted to be a zoologist,and im 13,and my parents wont let me be a zoologist.Its my dream to save tigers........Anyone else around here wanna be a zoologist or a wildlife conservationist?
I am currently a sophmore at the University of Pittsburg earning my BS in biology hoping to eventually become a zoologist. I agree that you should take the hardest courses in school that you can find. You should start going to college fairs by your freshman year that way you will have some idea of what schools offer biology and/or zoology majors and what those schools requre in order to be accepted (SAT scores etc. )





There are lots of jobs in the biology field, you can do almost anything with a biology degree including get into law school (no joke) A bio degree will let any graduate school know that you can handle a volume of information and are willing to work hard. you can never go wrong with a bio degree.





Be passionate about what you are doing and things will tend to work out.





I wish you the very best of luck.
I'm 15 but I used to lol until my sister wants to. she is studying zoology so she can work with animals in national parks. There's lots of courses at University to be them so i suggest u go there after u finish school!
I'm in college right now earning a B.S. in Zoology....I'm going to see where that leads me.





What advice I will give you is make sure you learn and understand science and math....and take the most advanced classes you can handle. (Calculus, Physics, Statistics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology...any Honors or AP courses will help) It's tough....but a lot of things in this world are.
Wildlife conservation is a very noble pursuit. Kudos for considering this.





You are going to need a Bachelors Degree in Biology for starters; this much I know. I believe you will also need some other specialized studies so check with your school guidance councilor for more details.





I wish you well, and success in your endeavor.
I have a degree in zoology and I work as a wildlife biologist and specialize in ornithology (study of birds). If you want to work as a zookeeper, you would get a degree in zoology. For wildlife work outside of a zoo, you can also do a zoology major, or biology, or wildlife studies. For now, you should take a lot of science courses and really get a good understanding of all the basics which will help you when it comes time for college. You might also explore different branches of zoology, like ornithology, herpetology (study or reptiles and amphibians), mammalogy (mammals), entomology (insects), ichthyology (fish), etc. and decide if you want to specialize in something. What interests you the most?? You can also probably start doing some sort of volunteer work or internships while still in high school at a zoo, or for Dept of Fish and Game, US Forest Service, etc. to really get a taste of the work and to get some hands on experience. Good Luck!
No.
';Zoologist'; is a broad term that covers many, many occupations. I am getting ready to graduate from college with a degree in zoology, and the #1 thing a graduate does with a zoology degree: goes to graduate school! :-D I'm going to explain grad school to you, because it's almost guaranteed you'll need it.





First you go to highschool, where you may or may not specialized in science or something, it's really not a big deal if you don't. I graduated from a high school IB program, which was a big help because I entered college with a lot of credits already. This meant I didn't have to re-take classes I'd essentially already learned. Then you go to college. Almost all schools have a biology program, but fewer have zoology and wildlife conservation programs. The University of Florida (where I go) has all 3. The degree requirement for that program will more than likely include physics, chemistries, and other hard classes, but it does pay off, I promise. It's a good idea to get undergraduate (that's what you're called when you haven't graduated your 4 years of college yet) research experience, but this won't be an issue until you're actually in college. After you graduate the undergraduate program, you look for grad schools. Grad school is divided into two programs: Master of Science (M.S.) an Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). MS takes 2 years, usually, and PhD takes 4. Generally you formulate a question you want to answer, like ';why aren't more species of animals asexual?';, and then find an organism that works as a good model for answering that question.





Graduate school does tack 6 years onto your college career, but you normally don't pay to go to graduate school, they pay you. So it's more like work than school, although you do still take classes.





As far as where to start now: I would just begin by volunteering at your local Humane Society, or if there's one around, a zoo, exotic animal rescue, or a veterinarian that treats exotic animals. Just getting involved in the great outdoors is a big boost, because when you're taking ';Wildlife of Florida'; classes, you'll already know all of the animals! :)





Sorry this was so long, but there's a lot of nuances people (myself included) don't realize about zoology and conservation until they're neck deep in it. Feel free to email me with other questions!
go to college and major in zoology. But I warn you, there are not many jobs for zoologists. I suggest you also get a teaching certificate, so you can teach the subject. It's generally called biology.

No comments:

Post a Comment